Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sleepless Last Night

Tossed and turned beyond 3 AM. The past few weeks replaying in my head, not quite in the way they happened, but in the way my vicious mind said they should have happened. I lay awake imaging what was not. I got more miserable by the minute. By dawn, I was angry.

The daughter suffered a terrible blow yesterday. After weeks of intense preparation for a sports event in school, she lost. I watched her crumble. I experienced her terrible disappointment. I wanted to take away all her pain. But I was paralyzed. Her entire team wrapped her in a huddle, shielding off others from seeing her in tears. I couldn't find the strength to break into the circle. I couldn't even summon up the words of comfort. I stiffened up, felt trapped somehow. When she needed me most, I just couldn't make myself emotionally available to her. I felt like Alice in Wonderland, suddenly shrunk into a helpless inch, shoved into a bottle of my own critical thoughts.

At my daughter's lowest point, I collapsed into self blame. I kept accusing myself of not doing enough. I beat myself up. I tortured myself with regret. And, unfortunately, made myself emotionally unavailable to her. I hated myself and lost the precious chance to be there for my daughter. This afternoon, bleary eyed and punch drunk with fatigue, the truth dawned on me: the cliche is right. You can only give your kids the love you have for yourself. If there's not much love there from you for you, your kids lose out.

No comments: