Friday, September 11, 2009

Asserting my Self

Something happened at work yesterday--I spoke up and had my views heard. Never in a million years could I have imagined that day would come.
I lived life in fear. Although I was present on a daily basis, I would cower into myself by saying yes to everyone--whether I agreed with what was being said or not. I was proud of being the chameleon--changing my views to suit the group I was with.
Little did I realize that doing this meant I did not have my own voice. That I was allowing others to live my life for me. I enabled people to step on me by being subservient to their desires. This habit also left me with an inability to choose and decide for myself. At work, I always deferred to the choices and decisions of others even when I had an opinion. I had no preference for food when I was with others. I could not choose my clothes because I needed the approval of others.
It is after going through hundreds of workshops and years of searching that I realize that it was a lack of love for myself that had me doing those things. It is when a sense of being worthy or when love of self is present that this inability to be assertive disappears because then we are sure of ourselves and approval comes from within and not from without.

How can we start developing our ability to assert ourselves?
1. Practice choosing and deciding--where to eat when asked. State your preferences and don't say "I don't know, where would you want to go?"
2. Practice making yourself heard--even taking small baby steps. Voice out what you want to do. How you feel about certain topics no matter how small they are.

No comments: